As of March 2019, some Florida residents have been legally allowed to smoke medical marijuana sold from a licensed medical marijuana treatment center. There’s just one hitch — you must present a card issued by the Medical Marijuana Use Registry (MMUR).
So, who qualifies for a medical marijuana card in Florida? And what do you need to do to get one?
What Are the Steps to Getting a Medical Marijuana Florida Card?
Patients and caregivers must have an active MMUR registry Florida card to both buy and be in possession of medical marijuana. But what are the steps to getting your card?
Visit the doctor
Before you can access medical marijuana in Florida, you must be diagnosed with a qualifying medical condition by a qualified physician. Here’s the list of permissible conditions for Florida. You must be a permanent or seasonal Florida resident, and the physician must determine if medical marijuana is an appropriate treatment for you.
Your doctor adds you to the registry
Your physician will add you to the MMUR registry for Florida so you can apply for a MMUR identification card. You will receive your login details automatically once you’ve been entered, so make sure your physician has your current email address.
Complete the application for your identification card
There are two ways to apply for an MMUR registry Florida card — online and by mail.
Online applications are processed significantly faster than paper applications.
- First, you’ll log in to the MMU Registry. You should have received two emails from the Office of Medical Marijuana Use — one featuring your username and one containing a temporary password. Here are detailed instructions on logging in for the first time.
- Access the “Your Card” page to complete the online application your doctor started.
- Upload the necessary documents.
- Once your photo and proof of residency have been uploaded, electronically sign your application. Click “Submit My Card Application”.
- There’s a $75 processing fee for each application. On the following screen, click the button “Click Here to Pay Online”, and submit your payment information. Credit cards and eChecks are accepted. An additional $2.75 convenience fee applies to each online payment.
- Print either a patient application or caregiver application.
- Complete all required fields.
- At the top of the third page, make sure you tick the “Initial Application” box.
- Enclose the required documents.
- On the final page of the application, print and sign your name exactly as it appears on your enclosed documents.
- Include a $75 check or money order made out to the Florida Department of Health, including your Patient ID number and date of birth on the memo line. Cash is not accepted.
- Mail the application to:
Office of Medical Marijuana Use
PO Box 31313
Tampa, FL 33631-3313
Wait for approval
Now you simply wait to receive your card and start purchasing medical marijuana. Online applications are approved in, on average, 10 business days. Mail applications take an additional 3-5 days to allow for postal delivery of your application.
What Else Should You Know About Getting an MMUR Identification Card?
Whether completing your application online or by mail, you’ll need to submit documents to verify your personal information. Here’s everything you’ll need.
For online applications
- Photo — To make the process more efficient, the MMUR is connected to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles (FLHSMV) database. If the information on your profile matches the details they hold, your state ID or driver’s license photo can automatically be added to your application.
- Proof of residency — If there’s a match on the FLHSMV database, your state residency status can automatically be added to your application. If there’s no match, you must provide proof of Florida residency using the document guidelines in the 2022 Florida statutes. The name and address on the document(s) provided must match the name and address submitted in the application.
For mail applications
- Photo — Submit a 2×2 inch, full-face color photo taken in front of a plain white background within the last 90 days. It should be the same as a photo you’d submit for a passport or driver’s license.
- Proof of residency — You must provide proof of Florida residency using the document guidelines in the 2022 Florida statutes. The name and address on the document(s) provided must match the name and address submitted in the application.
Information for caregivers
If the patient requires the medical assistance of a caregiver (or if they are a minor), the patient’s qualified physician must also add the caregiver to the registry. The caregiver will need to submit a caregiver application. They can then obtain an MMUR identification card to purchase and administer medical marijuana on the patient’s behalf.
Checking your application status
Whether you are a patient or caregiver, you can check the status of your application by calling (800) 808-9580. Alternatively, you can check the MMUR online — here’s a guide to the card status icons and what they mean.
How to use your MMUR card
Once you receive your MMUR identification card, you’ll be able to fill an order placed by your qualified physician. You may only buy medical marijuana from a state-approved, licensed medical marijuana treatment center (MMTC).
VidaCann has 26 dispensaries dotted across Florida, so you’re sure to find one local to you. If you don’t have an MMTC close by, you can still contact a store and arrange for delivery.
Renewing your application
Your MMUR identification card will expire one year after the date of approval. To keep your card active, you or your caregiver must submit a renewal application every year. It must be submitted, along with the application fee and any required accompanying documents, within 45 days before the card expiration date (not before).
Click here for a guide on how to submit an online renewal application. If you need to change, replace or surrender your MMUR card, fill out the Change, Replacement or Surrender Request form and send it by mail.
Your MMUR Florida Card
The process of getting an MMUR card for your medical condition is usually simple if you put a plan in place. You’ll then be free to enjoy the therapeutic benefits of medical marijuana from a licensed Florida dispensary like VidaCann.
If you need further help getting your MMUR card, browse the full list of instructional guides. If you have questions that these don’t answer, feel free to call (800) 808-9580.